Transfer from ANutr to RNutr

If you are a Registered Associate Nutritionist with approximately three plus years professional experience in nutrition, then you should look at starting to put together your application to become a Registered Nutritionist.

How to apply for transfer as a currently Registered Associate Nutritionist

All guidance documents and the online application can be found below.

Your transfer application must show:

  • That you have kept your professional knowledge up-to-date.
  • How you have developed your nutrition skills and competence through professional experience since graduating.
  • That you now have practical experience of all the competencies required.
  • That you continue to abide by our Standards of Ethics, Conduct and Performance in your practice.
  • That you abide by our Standards for Freelance and Independent Practice, if you are practicing in these settings.

Registered Associate Nutritionists should look to submit their transfer portfolio once they have gained three years professional experience in nutrition. An ANutr will normally have submitted an application to transfer to Registered Nutritionist status within five years of joining the UKVRN.

How to prepare a transfer for registration as a Registered Nutritionist

Your transfer application will be much easier to prepare if you:

  • Try to keep the required competencies in mind as you develop your skills. through Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and through your work.
  • Record examples of your work and learning as you go.
  • Collect pertinent information such as certificates or proof of  attendance/participation, documents or talks you have produced etc.
  • Read the Competency Requirements for Registered Nutritionists and see where you can map your evidence on Mapping Form B to show where you can demonstrate your evidence of application.
  • You may wish to use the Mapping Form B template to help you collect your evidence, so you then have this ready to cut and paste into the online application form (Tab 7 – Competency Mapping).
  • Book onto a transfer support (zoom) clinic if you have any areas that you are unsure about
  • Stay in touch with AfN so you are aware of any changes made to the UKVRN over time.

What counts as “professional experience”?

Professional experience is practice experience gained in nutrition-related roles undertaken after completion of your first nutrition science degree programme.

Some undergraduate degree programmes offer a sandwich year. Whilst this can provide you with value experience to start you in your career, it does not count towards your professional experience for transfer, as this will have been undertaken before you completed your studies and had studied all of the ANutr competencies. Your professional experience must be from activities undertaken after you completed your first nutrition science degree. The only exception, is that you may use work/volunteer/research experience from prior to the completion of your nutrition science degree as evidence that you meet some CC1 sub-competencies relating to general professional conduct knowledge and behaviour (such as CC1a and CC1b).

If you already have an undergraduate degree in nutrition science and have used this qualification as the basis for your ANutr registration, any time spent studying towards a subsequent MSc or PhD in nutrition science counts as professional development/experience. Please check Competency Requirements for Registered Nutritionists to determine whether the scope of your work and/or postgraduate study experience is broad enough to meet all of the competencies required for RNutr registration. If not, you will need to gain further experience or undertake additional CPD in the gaps you have identified before being ready to apply.

Volunteering activities undertaken after your first degree in nutrition science was completed can also count towards your professional experience, it does not have to be only paid practice that you can use as evidence. Please read through the Competency Requirements to judge whether the activity undertaken was of the type, scope and level required to be used as an example of your application of knowledge.

Please note:

  1. Registered Nutritionists are required to demonstrate that they have independently and consistently applied their knowledge to different situations.
  2. To apply for RNutr registration via a transfer portfolio, you must hold active ANutr registration throughout the assessment period to be eligible for this assessment pathway.
  3. The transfer assessment fee, is not a registration fee. Therefore your annual registration renewal will still be applicable irrespective of whether you are submitting/being assessed for transfer to RNutr at the point that this is due.
  4. Applications without payment will not be forwarded to the registration team for processing.
  5. Please ensure that you use the same email address as on your current registration record when completing the application form below and when providing your details for payment. Applications and payments are linked together and with your current registration record by email address, and if these don’t all match, your application could be delayed.

Transfer documents


Applications and payments are now submitted online via this website.  

RNutr transfer portfolios must not exceed 100 digital pages (150 pages for a dual specialism application).

Please do not merge all your documents into one PDF, please keep each document separate and numbered.

Please inform your referees of your application, as we will contact these shortly after receipt of your application and will not be able to send your transfer portfolio to an assessor until references have been received and all other documentation has been confirmed as enclosed (CV, supporting statement, accompanying evidence for mapping form B) and the assessment fee has been received.


If you need further help, please see our FAQ or email