Come and join the internationally renowned Department of Food and Nutritional Sciences at the University of Reading as a Lecturer in Food Science.
Our world-leading research in food and nutrition focuses on delivering nutritious, healthy and sustainable food for all. The Department plays a key role in The University of Reading’s Agriculture, Food and Health research theme and the Institute for Food, Nutrition and Health.
Never before has Food Science played such a prominent role in transforming the health of people and planet. The post holder will be at the heart of this challenge, leading research which underpins the design and development of the foods of the future, focussing on ingredient functionality, physical properties of foods, food oral processing and the complex interactions within the food and the mouth, and ensuring that the food is safe, appealing, available and affordable.
Our researchers work in a collaborative environment in a number of thematic research areas with the overall aim of addressing global challenges in the food system through:
- Development and exploitation of effective ingredients to produce healthy, sustainable and appealing food products.
- Manipulation of microorganisms to develop safe foods and optimise gut health.
- Sustainable processing and waste valorisation to enable NetZero for food manufacturing.
- Utilising consumer behaviour and citizen science based approaches to ensure the availability of affordable, attainable and healthy foods.
You will have:
- A PhD in an appropriate specialist area related to food science.
- The proven potential to undertake independent high-quality original research, secure competitive research funding and publish in high impact journals.
- The ability to engage in, and take responsibility for, delivery of teaching and learning to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.