Leicester Tigers Rugby Club is seeking experienced, dedicated, and knowledgeable applicants for the position of Lead Performance Nutritionist. Working as part of a High-Performance multidisciplinary team (MDT) the Lead Performance Nutritionist will be responsible for the development and delivery of the nutrition support service to the Senior squad to optimise their health and performance. In addition, the Lead Performance Nutritionist will supervise alignment delivery across the Academy, Senior Academy and Senior Men’s programmes.
Leadership and Management
- Influence the environment and promote a culture at Leicester Tigers that supports nutrition as an integral component of high performance.
- Align service delivery across the Senior, Senior Academy, and the Academy
- Lead and mentor participants in the internship program, maintaining regular meetings to build relationships and support ongoing professional development.
- Be professionally responsible for own practice and the oversight of all aspects of service delivery at Leicester Tigers.
- Lead the multidisciplinary team on integrated well-being projects with significance to nutrition.
- Manage the nutrition, supplementation, and catering budgets to ensure high-quality, cost-effective nutrition delivery at the club.
- Employ strategies to support the training and match day demands of players whilst showcasing an in-depth understanding of the scientific principles underpinning sports nutrition e.g., nutrition for strength development, post-exercise recovery, proper hydration, supplement usage, ergogenic aids, recovery from surgery etc.
- Adopt a ‘food-first’ approach when delivering nutrition education to all players and coaches.
- Collaborate closely with coaches, S&C, and medical staff to establish a comprehensive approach to athlete development, overall well-being, and optimal performance.
- Work with the Oval Park catering team to tailor menus that cater for the demands of the training schedule.
- Collaborating closely with the Team Manager, coordinating with hotels and catering staff at away venues, as well as the in-house catering team at Mattioli Woods Welford Road, to ensure the provision of appropriate nutrition for the players.
- Working in conjunction with the Head Coach, Head of Performance, and relevant staff, set and oversee performance-oriented body composition targets for individual players, both during the season and throughout rehabilitation periods, making necessary adjustments when required.
- Actively collaborate with Return to Play (RTP) medical, S&C, and coaching staff on nutritional aspects of the RTP process, expediting RTP and mitigating further injury risk.
- Attend home and away matches to ensure prescribed menus and nutrition strategies are implemented.
- Ensure timely 1 to 1 discussions, formally and informally, with players throughout the season.
- Liaise with external caterers to ensure appropriate meal provision where needed.
- Maintain effective relationships with identified nutrition and hydration partners and suppliers, always complying with Leicester Tigers’ supplement policy.
- Implement best practice for food hygiene and undertake food safety training, if certification is not already held.
- Meet regularly with the Heads of Departments on all aspects of nutrition service development.
- Build and maintain relationships with all Heads of Departments on all matters that impact on nutrition service provision at the club.
- Work closely with the catering staff and General Manager to coordinate produce ordering, invoicing, and budget control.
- Be responsible for maintaining relationships with existing nutrition partners and identifying potential new partners in conjunction with the Commercial Departments.
Documentation and Reporting
- Maintain records of all nutrition interventions and supplements received.
- Provide or present reports on nutrition service developments and body composition to Head Coach, Head of Performance, and relevant staff.
Continuing Professional Development (CPD), Education and Audit
- Engage in continuing professional development (CPD) relevant to sports nutrition.